13:00:36 <jki> #startmeeting CIP IRC weekly meeting
13:00:36 <collab-meetbot> Meeting started Thu Mar 17 13:00:36 2022 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is jki. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
13:00:36 <collab-meetbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
13:00:36 <collab-meetbot> The meeting name has been set to 'cip_irc_weekly_meeting'
13:00:36 <brlogger`> Meeting started Thu Mar 17 13:00:36 2022 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is jki. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
13:00:36 <brlogger`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
13:00:36 <brlogger`> The meeting name has been set to 'cip_irc_weekly_meeting'
13:00:50 <jki> fatfingering today...
13:00:58 <uli> hello
13:01:07 <masami> hi
13:01:28 <patersonc[m]> Hey
13:02:09 <pave1> Hi!
13:05:37 <jki> ok, let's go
13:05:39 <jki> #topic AI review
13:05:59 <jki> 1. Resolve/filter irrelevant failures of KernelCI for 4.4-cip - patersonc & alicefm
13:07:43 <jki> I assume no update here, right?
13:08:02 <patersonc[m]> Nope
13:08:42 <jki> ok
13:08:53 <jki> any other AI I missed?
13:09:55 <jki> 3
13:09:56 <jki> 2
13:09:57 <jki> 1
13:09:59 <jki> #topic Kernel maintenance updates
13:10:20 <pave1> I was reviewing patches for 5.10.105, 106, 107.
13:10:25 <uli> reviewed 5.10.104 and 106
13:10:31 <masami> This week reported 11 new CVEs and 5 updated CVE.
13:10:40 <masami> Xen project published 7 CVEs this week.
13:10:45 <masami> Spectre-BHB patches have been backportinting to 4.x series.
13:11:59 <pave1> I am working on 4.4.X branch. -cip is now uptodate with 4.9.299.
13:13:07 <jki> great
13:13:55 <jki> anything to discuss here about releasing that?
13:14:29 <pave1> I'd preffer to get replies to the email :-).
13:15:00 <jki> fine, that's why I'm asking :)
13:15:10 <jki> anything else for this topic?
13:16:24 <jki> 3
13:16:26 <jki> 2
13:16:27 <jki> 1
13:16:29 <jki> #topic Kernel testing
13:16:49 <patersonc[m]> I don't have any updates this week
13:17:37 <pave1> I have pushed -st tree to https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cip/linux-cip.git/log/?h=linux-4.4.y-st .
13:17:55 <pave1> Could it get same testing we used to do for linux-4.4.y?
13:18:23 <pave1> (linux-4.4.y testing can now be stopped/disabled. It is unlikely to see new activity.)
13:18:56 <patersonc[m]> Will look into it. I'm assuming we're not adding our own gitlab-ci.yaml file?
13:19:30 <pave1> This is supposed to be clove to vanilla. I could add yaml but would preffer not to.
13:19:39 <pave1> close
13:20:11 <patersonc[m]> Sure
13:21:19 <jki> good, anything else?
13:21:26 <pave1> Thank you!
13:21:36 <masami> I found conflict lines in this patch https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cip/linux-cip.git/commit/?h=linux-4.4.y-st&id=46c33101debfc4226d08933659660a8835b6a0e0
13:22:44 <pave1> Thanks. I'm getting build errors I'll need to investigate. This is one of them.
13:23:02 <jki> maybe install some auto-checker for such forgotten resolutions somewhere?
13:23:10 <masami> pavel: I see. thanks.
13:24:31 <pave1> jki: Yes, more automation is possible.
13:25:09 <jki> further topics here?
13:25:43 <jki> 3
13:25:45 <jki> 2
13:25:47 <jki> 1
13:25:50 <jki> #topic AOB
13:26:12 <jki> do we have specific topics to raise during the extended TSC meeting?
13:26:52 <jki> are we still on track or do we see growing problems?
13:27:33 <jki> what's our view on RISC-V (will be a topic there as you heard)?
13:27:46 <pave1> We may find out that 4.4-rt is even more fun than 4.4.y, but lets see.
13:28:26 <jki> did you try it already and have some example(s)?
13:28:36 <pave1> I believe risc-v is going to be important rather soon, and we should start working with it.
13:29:10 <pave1> No time for -rt, yet. Enough fun with 4.4.y for now. But -rt is subtle and we are doing very little testing.
13:29:23 <jki> understood
13:29:49 <jki> suggestions how to improve?
13:32:26 <pave1> Not at the moment.
13:33:03 <jki> regarding RISC-V: what would be preconditions for us to pick this topic up?
13:33:29 <jki> one of my concerns is still the missing official Debian support
13:34:00 <jki> but we can work around that for the kernel, to some degree I suppose, right?
13:34:44 <pave1> I guess first step would be getting risc-v/qemu to work, and starting 5.10.X testing with that.
13:35:00 <pave1> I don't think we should do 4.4/4.19 risc-v.
13:35:10 <jki> nope, surely not
13:35:25 <pave1> I would not mind risc-v board to play with if they are cheap enough for that.
13:36:00 <jki> I hope Renesas will help out here ;)
13:36:17 <jki> but QEMU is a good start in any case
13:36:30 <pave1> Debian is likely quite conservative with marking things "official", so I'd expect unofficial support to work well enough.
13:36:49 <patersonc[m]> I'm sure Renesas will provide boards to the CIP maintainers, but may not be for a couple of months, then export control...
13:36:57 <jki> we are using Debian on RISC-V for a while
13:37:11 <jki> problem is that never have stable versions
13:37:12 <pave1> I mean.. likely there are problems on complex stuff like Firefox, but we are really using basic stuff.
13:37:22 <jki> need to use snapshots of days that worked
13:38:09 <jki> but snapshot.debian.org is not a good source for CI (throttling...)
13:38:41 <pave1> Yes, that may be problematic. But it is other level than kernel.
13:39:54 <pave1> patersonc: If Renesas boards take months before being available, we may consider some easy-to-get devel board, too.
13:40:15 <patersonc[m]> Agreed
13:40:35 <pave1> I know there are some that are a bit expensive ($2000 IIRC), but something like beagleV could be available soon and not that pricey.
13:40:45 <jki> there is no easy-to-get right now - IIRC
13:41:20 <jki> better start with QEMU, that will be one target anyway
13:41:40 <pave1> I believe these are available: https://www.sifive.com/boards/hifive-unmatched (but expensive).
13:42:29 <jki> "Stock:    Not Available"
13:43:08 <pave1> Ok, let me ask around.
13:43:32 <jki> The BeagleV was a hope - for a while...
13:44:33 <jki> ok...
13:44:53 <jki> anything else, for ext-TSC or in general?
13:46:01 <jki> 3
13:46:03 <jki> 2
13:46:05 <jki> 1
13:46:06 <jki> #endmeeting