15:00:19 <mackonstan> #startmeeting FD.io CSIT project meeting
15:00:19 <collab-meetbot> Meeting started Wed Nov 18 15:00:19 2020 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is mackonstan. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:19 <collab-meetbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
15:00:19 <collab-meetbot> The meeting name has been set to 'fd_io_csit_project_meeting'
15:00:34 <dwallacelf> #info Dave Wallace
15:00:34 <jlinkes> #info Juraj Linkeš
15:00:41 <tifrank> #info Tibor Frank
15:00:46 <vrpolak> #info Vratko Polak.
15:00:48 <mackonstan> #chair
15:00:48 <collab-meetbot> Current chairs: mackonstan
15:01:06 <mackonstan> #chair dwallacelf
15:01:06 <collab-meetbot> Warning: Nick not in channel: dwallacelf
15:01:06 <collab-meetbot> Current chairs: dwallacelf mackonstan
15:01:14 <jgelety> #info Jan Gelety
15:01:22 <mackonstan> #chair tifrank
15:01:22 <collab-meetbot> Warning: Nick not in channel: tifrank
15:01:22 <collab-meetbot> Current chairs: dwallacelf mackonstan tifrank
15:01:37 <mackonstan> #chair jgelety
15:01:37 <collab-meetbot> Warning: Nick not in channel: jgelety
15:01:37 <collab-meetbot> Current chairs: dwallacelf jgelety mackonstan tifrank
15:01:45 <mackonstan> #chair vrpolak
15:01:45 <collab-meetbot> Warning: Nick not in channel: vrpolak
15:01:45 <collab-meetbot> Current chairs: dwallacelf jgelety mackonstan tifrank vrpolak
15:01:52 <mackonstan> #chair pmikus
15:01:52 <collab-meetbot> Warning: Nick not in channel: pmikus
15:01:52 <collab-meetbot> Current chairs: dwallacelf jgelety mackonstan pmikus tifrank vrpolak
15:02:37 <mackonstan> #topic Agenda bashing
15:03:34 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, want to talk about perf tests on Arm/Tishan, and how to make them execute faster.
15:04:03 <mackonstan> #topic Inputs from projects - VPP
15:04:34 <mackonstan> #info Andrew, reminder sent F0 in 3 weeks
15:07:50 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, questions from community about vpp memory/heap/hugepages configuration, asking for clearer usage guidelines. Looking for volunteers to work with me on that.
15:08:09 <mackonstan> #topic Inputs from projects - TSC
15:08:29 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, CSIT master branch is using GPL license in GPL directory.
15:09:55 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, VPP master is still in works, RayK holds the pen to complete drawing the plan to conclude the Scapy driven part of make test GPL re-license.
15:10:28 <mackonstan> #topic Releases CSIT-2101
15:11:22 <mackonstan> #info F0 milestone 2020-12-09
15:12:03 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, 2101 is the first rls with new VPP API deprecation process kicks in
15:13:23 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, one safety net is voting vpp-csit-device job in vpp
15:16:05 <mackonstan> #info Andrew, here is the pointer to **all** APIs that will get removed in v21.01, https://docs.fd.io/vpp/20.09/de/d1e/release_notes_2009.html > Newly deprecated API messages
15:17:11 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, Jan, obvious CSIT test exposure: ipsec_tunnel_if_add_del
15:17:48 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, Jan, Vratko to skin this cat.
15:18:32 <mackonstan> #topic Releases CSIT-2009
15:19:05 <mackonstan> #info Tibor, no new data/content today, so no report update
15:20:15 <mackonstan> #info Tibor, nat44 test results and methodology, are ready to be pushed into rls2009 report. Data is already published in the master version.
15:21:47 <mackonstan> #info Tibor, will wait till tomorrow evening to see if the gerrit methodology secions' review is complete, and if it is, publish the report
15:24:43 <mackonstan> #info Tibor, started to test 2n-zn2 …
15:25:05 <mackonstan> #info Peter, BUT, there is an issue with uploading artefacts to Nexus
15:26:32 <mackonstan> #info Dave, discussed with Vanessa, unclear where the problem lies
15:30:58 <mackonstan> #info Dave, jenkins CI is now down for all vpp and csit jobs for 24hrs
15:31:27 <mackonstan> #info Dave, will bring it up on TSC call tomorrow
15:31:47 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, sandbox Jenkins works though
15:35:25 <mackonstan> #info Dave, will ask for a full visibility into Jenkins configs (on TSC call tomorrow), as currently blind
15:35:44 <mackonstan> #topic Physical Infrastructure - Xeon, Atom
15:36:38 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, Peter, will discuss offline best way to install 6x E810 NICs in 2n-clx testbeds
15:37:00 <mackonstan> #topic Physical Infrastructure - Arm testbeds
15:37:45 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, why do perf tests twice as long to execute on Arm/Tishan vs Xeon, and how to make them execute faster.
15:38:14 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, one possible reason is that they are running on Arm executors that are slower
15:38:42 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, but switching to ThunderX2s, fast servers, the jobs still take longer
15:39:18 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, but turning off SMT on ThunderX2 executors, brought the execution time in line with Xeons
15:40:09 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, root caused to slower cores on ThunderX1s. ThunderX2s are fine.
15:41:27 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, two options to address this going forward: i) use Xeon executors, would need to add Arm arch support; ii) use ThunderX2 servers as executors, but there are only two servers.
15:43:56 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, Peter, clearly prefer option ii) due to its simplicity, e.g. avoids cross-compiling
15:46:29 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, email csit-dev to drive consensus
15:47:42 <mackonstan> #topic Physical Infrastructure - AMD
15:49:02 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, looking good.
15:55:30 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, re FD.io lab extension in 2021, would like to propose to set up TWS starting next week
15:55:51 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, expecting data points re existing costs for next week
15:56:05 <mackonstan> #topic Virtual Infrastructure, CI/CD
15:56:29 <mackonstan> #info Juraj, arm-based vpp-csit-device jobs are in and working, but not voting
15:57:54 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, let's wait for a good green period before enabling voting
15:58:51 <mackonstan> #info Agreed to add this as a standing point to agenda
15:59:02 <mackonstan> #topic Environment, Framework
15:59:16 <mackonstan> #info Maciek, ip6 latency tests broken, TRex ver at fault
15:59:45 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, Peter, TRex 2.86 works, so moving to that
16:01:57 <mackonstan> #topic Performance Tests
16:02:04 <mackonstan> #info Vratko, nothing new since last week
16:02:24 <mackonstan> #endmeeting