15:00:22 <DaveBarach> #startmeeting fdio-vpp
15:00:22 <collabot`> Meeting started Tue Mar 10 15:00:22 2020 UTC.  The chair is DaveBarach. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:00:22 <collabot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:00:22 <collabot`> The meeting name has been set to 'fdio_vpp'
15:02:55 <DaveBarach> #topic CSIT (Maciek reporting)
15:03:31 <DaveBarach> #info done w/ CSIT 20.02
15:04:11 <DaveBarach> #info will update 20.05 deliverables on wiki this week
15:04:33 <DaveBarach> #info Skylake: delayed testing due to ucode updates
15:05:01 <DaveBarach> #info iidentified 3 issues: 1. 30% perf regression on Cascade Lake
15:05:39 <DaveBarach> Caused by broken ucode update package. Remedy: update BIOS to update ucode instead.
15:05:57 <DaveBarach> BIOS 3.2 supermicro systems updated, results publiished
15:06:31 <DaveBarach> 2. Throughput regression on Skylake, Cascade Lake. PDR drops w/ AVF driver about 10%, same w/ DPDK driver
15:06:57 <DaveBarach> Varies per test. Affects all Skylake, Cascade lake systems
15:07:50 <DaveBarach> 3. Regression only on Skylake. On 2-node PDR test v4 50%
15:08:09 <DaveBarach> #action Maciek to up date vpp-dev / csit mailers
15:08:25 <DaveBarach> #info DPDK tests also affected
15:08:50 <DaveBarach> #info Issues 2, 3 reproduced by Intel Chandler
15:10:46 <DaveBarach> #info Would like to publish numbers and move on. Two options: increase queue lengths -> PDR rates much better on 3-node testbed
15:11:58 <DaveBarach> Suggestion 1: releasee note but do not publish horrifying numbers
15:12:15 <DaveBarach> Suggestion 2: double queue sizes and publish numbers
15:14:30 <DaveBarach> #agreed Go with Suggestion 1
15:15:09 <DaveBarach> #topic Host Stack (Florin)
15:15:41 <DaveBarach> #info Major FIFO refactor merged. Considerable memory savings at a minor cost in CPU cycles
15:16:57 <DaveBarach> #info improved timer pacing, spread timer expirations over 50ms so we don't handle too many timers per dispatch loop
15:17:23 <DaveBarach> #info Session layer scheduling improvements, to limit max packet bursts per dispatch cycle
15:17:53 <DaveBarach> #info VCL lock layer (VLS) used w/ LD_PRELOAD shim improve lock efficiency
15:19:06 <DaveBarach> #info requests/sec testing w/ wrk 1.4 e 6/sec, improved to 1.9 e6 /sec
15:20:07 <DaveBarach> #topic Documentation (John DeNisco)
15:21:28 <DaveBarach> #info whitepaper send to conference, conf. cancelled due to Coronavirus
15:21:38 <dwallacelf> #link https://wiki.lfnetworking.org/display/LN/3.+Brief+project+overview
15:21:52 <DaveBarach> #info John will attend marketing meetings to push blog post forward
15:22:52 <florinc> #info John's link https://wiki.lfnetworking.org/display/LN/3.+Brief+project+overview
15:24:14 <DaveBarach> #topic Release Management (Dave W, Andrew on PTO)
15:24:35 <DaveBarach> #info 20.05 release plan published
15:24:49 <DaveBarach> #link https://wiki.fd.io/view/Projects/vpp/Release_Plans/Release_Plan_20.05
15:25:04 <DaveBarach> #info dates are in the plan document
15:25:35 <DaveBarach> #info 20.01 some commits, no requests for a formal release
15:26:14 <DaveBarach> #info 19.08 still pulling non-API changing patches
15:26:59 <DaveBarach> #info we haven't been merging API affecting patches, we have one pending
15:27:39 <DaveBarach> #info absent a discussion, will -2 the patch.
15:29:17 <DaveBarach> #info Vratko has patches ready to do stable/19..08 validation
15:31:25 <DaveBarach> #action Dave Wallace to follow up with Christian about the IS_INBOUND flag API change
15:32:20 <DaveBarach> #info haven't scheduled 19.08.2, if needed please let us know
15:32:48 <DaveBarach> #info given timing on 20.05, should deal with 19.08.2 last week of March / beginning of April
15:37:03 <DaveBarach> #topic Infra (Dave W, Ed K)
15:37:13 <DaveBarach> #info no drama
15:38:28 <DaveBarach> #info Plan to remove the naginator plugin, may cause more manual rechecks
15:40:38 <DaveBarach> #topic QoS replacement (Jon L)
15:40:43 <DaveBarach> #info any updates?
15:48:29 <DaveBarach> #endmeeting